Friday, April 21, 2017

4 Minute Mile

I have a long history of loving running movies.

Run Fat Boy Run,  Across the Tracks, Prefontaine, Without Limits, and Chariots of Fire

I was not a big fan of 4 Minute Mile.   I love the idea that the movie tried to portray, that running is its own end.  And that even though he lost his big race in the end he hit his goal.

My problem with the movie is in so many other part that didn't work for me.  The tired old track coach who is an expert and still spends every day watching track practice.   He is clearly a drunk who smokes and can barely move.   How is he so fit when they show him getting out of bed.  Clearly there is some failure from his past that has driven him to drink.  There is also some clear physical pain caused by something.   And his son probably has something to do with it, but nothing with it is ever explained.

The main character is clearly running to get away from something, but is stuck under his brothers control.   It is not clear why he has never tried to get away.  Stay with someone else?  Refuse his brother?  Even in the end, with his brother that he clearly doesn't love, after he has shot the new father figure in his life, he still goes to prison to visit his brother.  

I am not adding 4 Minute mile to my list that I'll watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy Tuesday

Trying to stick to my plan.  3 days a week. Easy Medium run on Tuesday, these will get longer over time. Speed work on Thursday. Long s...